Friday, January 21, 2011

Speaking of Competitions...


Amid the nail-biting period while I wait to see if I made the next cut in the NYC Midnight Short Screenplay Challenge, another competition popped up. Tweet Me A Story, which asks writers to tell a story in no more than 140 characters, including spaces. And punctuation.

I knew at least two of my favorite twitter-writer-friends, @lisamarks and @LynneRice, were hopping on board and it was hard to resist. For a talkative person-and one who must learn to limit dialogue in scripts!-it sounded like fun.

Last Thursday night, all participants were arranged into groups and given a word that HAD to appear in the story. We could submit up to three entries by midnight that night.

Taking full advantage of this three-chances opportunity, I submitted mine before deadline. I've actually forgotten the third one I submitted, but was thrilled to see two of mine made the top 25 for my group, so I'll be in the next round.

For the curious, my given word was HONOR. And my two entries that made the cut were:

"What's MOST important?" he repeated. He stared at Ray's revolver and whispered,"Silence?" Ray hissed the last words he'd hear,"No. Honor." by Karla Bryant [12]


and


Drunkenly,he staggered to his front door. He fumbled for keys amid fake ID's and forged prescriptions.The newsboy waved,"Hi, your Honor!" by Karla Bryant [12]

4 comments:

  1. Thanks! Interesting that people seem evenly divided between the two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy, in hindsight, it could have sounded like a certain person, darling. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete