Saturday, January 1, 2011

#amwriting



#amwriting. On Twitter, this is the shortcut to let people know you're closing your social networking window for a while to stop talking about writing and start doing it. It can just as easily apply to Facebook, Google search, Stumbleupon, numerous email accounts, and all those other distractions that mysteriously devour one's "writing time". For an example, before signing in to write this post, I first completed a quiz on the BBC's website to discover what my name would be in a James Bond movie. (Answer: Honeypie.)

The New Year always brings with it, if not resolutions, ideas on how this year can be better than the last. How the year will see your goals move forward instead of treading water, or worse, dissolve entirely. And, for me, my greatest tool in being more successful, more professional, more in control of my time is to set limits. Although social networking is a weakness of mine--I do learn useful information from links of creative, intelligent friends and enjoy "talking" with them--it needs parameters. It's not just the internet that needs boundaries. It's phone calls and texts and long lunches...all of it is in need of reins.

As I thought about this more, I realized that while everything I've written is true, what a wonderful problem to have. I know some amazing people and am fortunate to have them in my life, whether around the corner or on my laptop. There are many ventures I would have never undertaken if it wasn't for them, new journeys I would have otherwise left to others.

So, what I'm most seeking in 2011 isn't, perhaps, boundaries as much as balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment