Friday, June 19, 2009

Transformers: My Minority Report



Sometimes, it seems curious to me that the personification of Michael Bay's target audience lives in my house. My thirteen year old son has been anticipating Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen (and I know better than to refer to it as anything other than it's complete title) since---Transformers 1.


In 2007, I knew there was little I could do to protest seeing Transformers on opening night. Then, as now, my son's conversation had been focused on Michael Bay, Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream, etc. Our family arrived at the theater about 45 minutes early. (We'd already bought our tickets the day before.) As we entered the actual theater, I could hear a rumble of voices from behind the wall that blocks the seating from the entry hall. As we turned towards the seats, I actually laughed. The nearly filled room was occupied primarily by 20-something males wearing either Decepticon or Autobot t-shirts. Anticipation was almost tangible. Here and there, I noticed a few wives and girlfriends who had clearly been dragged there against their better judgement. Payback day for all the Hugh Grant movies.


Yes, there was arm waving and cheering from the crowd when each Transformer made his screen debut. Yes, there were explosions and fights and explosions and fights. But, to be honest, the movie was fun. It really was. It didn't take itself too seriously--how could it? It delivered what you usually want from a good summer popcorn movie: action, vague plot, impressive CGI, and some humor.


I suspect the audience on opening night of Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen will be very similar to the first one. Actually, I suspect the movie itself will be very much like the first one. And today, when it's a humid 94 degrees and my brain feels like it's functioning at 80%, the idea of just relaxing with a big bucket of popcorn and going along for a raucous ride of a movie, even when Michael Bay is the driver, has its appeal.

1 comment: