Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Beatles: Rock Band...Yeah, Yeah, YEAH!


I have a new definition for my generation. We are the ones who were too old to have grown up with video games, but are too young to rule them out entirely. We just need the right motivation. And, as I patiently explain to my son, playing war games is not an appealing use of my time. Besides, my attempts at Battlefront have been laughable. I enjoyed Fable, but don't seem to find the time to get anywhere in it. Then, Rock Band entered our home. Video games became much more interesting, but I still wanted something...more.

At the E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) in Los Angeles Monday, Microsoft unveiled greatly anticipated news for gamers at their press conference...a new Halo game, a new Knights of the Old Republic Game and--- I can't recall any more of them or many details because my brain is completely fixated on their new version of one of their best games: The Beatles: Rock Band. At last. Really, at last.

Giles Martin, son the The Beatles' famed record producer, Sir George Martin, was on hand at the presentation to add some reassurance that he's worked on the project and is quite proud of it. Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison made brief walk-ons, apparently to indicate the game has their blessings. And just as I was wondering if maybe, possibly...there they were. The two remaining Beatles, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr. (Making me suddenly remember I was always a John Lennon, then George Harrison girl when it came to the endless, "Who's your favorite Beatle?" question.) It was very clear that they are of the generation that most likely will never play video games, but I'm sure they're both quite aware of the massive financial potential for them from the game release. Even though it seems, fortunately, that their music will never go away, The Beatles: Rock Band will present it in a fresh, active way they couldn't have imagined.

When I think of The Beatles, I have revolving images, usually accompanied by era-specific songs: the Cavern Club, Shea Stadium, The Ed Sullivan Show, Sgt. Peppers, the London rooftop, Abbey Road studio,...and on. From the trailer, I was excited to see it looks like the game will encompass the whole journey:

It's okay, you can watch it more than once. Or twice. So, Rock Band players are going to get a chance to try their hand at John Lennon's Rickenbacker 325 guitar or Paul's Hofner bass. And I can only guess at the 45 numbers on the songlist. It's a given that, regardless of the specific songs, the music is going to be fantastic. I've never in my life heard someone say, "The Beatles are so derivative!" or, "The Beatles are so overrated." It just doesn't happen. So one of the variables would have to be graphics. I was relieved to see how detailed they are, from Paul's somewhat alarming eyebrows, to George's suppressed smirks.

So, I'm warning my son now about a phrase he'll hear frequently once The Beatles: Rock Band is in the house: It's my turn on the Rickenbacker.

No comments:

Post a Comment