Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day 2009



When I talk about my father, most people expect me to talk about his work as a founder of NPR (National Public Radio) or how he created its flagship show, All Things Considered. More recently, the discussion is usually about his genuinely extraordinary work in helping community radio stations develop in emerging democracies. But, today is Father's Day and it's my turn to talk about him the way I see him.

Growing up in Buffalo, New York, Saturday was always the day of the week Dad and I spent together. My sister and mother would spend the day having lunch out and shopping. Dad and I would spend the morning at the Broadway Market, picking up special foods for the week, and then go to the Albright-Knox Art Gallery. We'd stop in front of different pieces in the collection, whether it was Andy Warhol or Matisse, and Dad would ask me questions about it that would encourage me to not just look at art, but to try to understand it as well. Invariably, other people would start gathering around, thinking he was a tour guide. He'd laugh , a little embarrassed, then we'd quietly walk on.

Later, we would move and our lives would change. But, constants were things like our walks in the woods and long conversations. Throughout the years, there are at least ten Important Things I've learned from those conversations:

1. You grow old when you stop taking interest in new things.

2. It's always more rewarding to do things for others than for yourself.

3. The saddest people are those with no curiosity.

4. There are always new chapters in life.

5. It's important to continue expanding your horizons.

6. Do not let fear decide things for you.

7. Don't dwell on the past.

8. Keep moving forward.

9. Take pride in a job well done.

10. It's important to wash your hands well.

For all of the above, and for much more, Happy Father's Day, Dad. I love you.

2 comments:

  1. Precious, and I need to get your autograph, as you are THE NPR GUY'S KID!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I should have a t-shirt that says that? ;)

    ReplyDelete