Tuesday, August 4, 2009

When Low Tech Knocks Out Writer's Block



Just over two years ago, family history--previously unknown due to my mother's adoption-- begin revealing itself in my life in a way that begs eventual book or screenplay treatment. I have a growing group of stacked files and notes. As new discoveries are uncovered, there are multiple twists and turns that have not yet ended. Some paths may be red herrings...maybe not. But, one thing is certain: it's complicated.

One of the complications is the fact that several people in the story are extremely well-known, even though dead now for decades. Of course, they also make parts of the plot especially fascinating. I've been advised that I can use them, the famous and infamous alike, as long as I call whatever I write fiction. Even if it's entirely true, the fiction label is mandatory to avoid potential lawsuits from descendants. Fine. But, more complex now.

So, for just over two years, I've been diligently researching, faithfully adding notes to my files, but just as diligently avoiding the first step towards actually writing it all out. I was completely overwhelmed trying to figure out the starting point, especially when the end has not yet been determined. Of course, if it's fiction, I can just make that part up. But I don't want to. You see the problem? I've looked at First Draft and other software programs, wondering which are truly useful and which may be so formulaic I wouldn't use them. And then, I happened to see a link on Twitter.

I can't even explain how it is that my twitter circle is so highly populated with people in the film industry, it just is. And, a few weeks ago, a Los Angeles filmmaker, Angelo Bell (thank you again, Angelo!), posted a link to the lowest tech method imaginable for outlining your screenplay: 50 index cards. The site explained exactly how to set up the cards, from plotline to the protagonist's inner and outer journey, all the way through to the final scene. Too easy? No. Not if you really approach it with creativity and thought. And, bonus for me, it's completely portable, so I can work on the cards anywhere, anytime.

So, after years of nail-biting and researching software, I'm carrying around a pack of 50 index cards, held together by a rubber band. I'm one-third of the way through already.

7 comments:

  1. The fun of posting useful links on Twitter is that one can imagine all the people who will benefit from those links. The awesomeness of posting these links is that once in a while we don't have to imagine -- someone actually tells us how much they've benefitted from the link.

    Thank you for the "thanks," it's truly my pleasure to help.

    Angelo Bell
    www.AngeloBell.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. We post links and wonder if they're even clicked on, let alone of any significance to others. Clearly, your's ended up being very meaningful to me. How could I not give you a shout-out? ;)

    Karla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Karla

    Post the link! I don't follow Angelo (but obviously should), so I didn't see the original link.

    Thanks in advance! Another good blog post.

    dlrl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here you go, writegrrl:

    www.moviemaker.com/screenwriting/article/writing_with_a_full_deck_3382/

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just this method but with poster board. Eventually, you will need a screenwriting software to write it out (saves so much grief).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link, Karla! Way cool!

    ReplyDelete