Friday, August 14, 2009

It's What I Do


When I initially mention to someone that I homeschool my son, I always wait to watch for a visible reaction. I wonder if their thoughts are what mine were when I first heard about "homeschooling": horror. How can sane parents remove their children from the daily norm of all their peers? Why would they do such a thing? What about socialization?

Well, in our case, it had never been the plan. Our son has always been very bright. Early on, it was clear he had some auditory focusing issues that made it extremely difficult to absorb information in a traditional classroom setting. We were told at Vanderbilt University, where--okay, I'm going to brag for a moment-- he became part of the Einstein Syndrome database, that the best recommendation would be to homeschool our son. And, if like most parents, you're determined to do what's best for your child, you step up to the plate. You just do it.

So, it had never been the plan, but it turned out to be a decision we've never regretted. Of course, there are moments that are less than thrilling, such as revisiting algebra and defining the differences between a noun in apposition vs. an objective complement or cognate object. Diagramming sentences. The words, "When will I ever have to use this?" have come back to haunt me.

Still, as any homeschooling parent knows, you suddenly have so much creativity in what you can add to your child's curriculum. Model of the Colosseum made with real stone? Check. Painting hieroglyphics to communicate messages? Check. Film a documentary about your neighborhood? Coming up. The discovery that travel is much cheaper when traditional schools are in session has allowed us to explore modern art at MoMA in NYC, science at Philadelphia's Franklin Institute and history at Independence Hall, collections at the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C., the Children's Museum in Seattle, Old Town San Diego. The list goes on. It's a different kind of education, and a wonderful one. (To assure some readers, our son has taken TaeKwonDo lessons three times a week for over six years now and participates in a weekly Co-Op, along with other gatherings. He does actually have friends his age.)

So, for those who wondered, that's how I spend my days. Now that my son has more independent work, I'm starting to dip my toes into writing projects again. I did get published in The New Yorker a couple of years ago. It was a letter in defense of homeschooling. (Really, we don't all cut our own hair and use a Bible and dictionary as our curriculum.) More challenging projects are calling. I've learned that the days, months, and years go by more quickly than I'd like. But, for now, the priority has to be on my son's education with my writing being squeezed in where I can find space, a spare fifteen minutes here and there. And who knows? Maybe a clearer sense of cognate objects will help my final draft.



5 comments:

  1. YOU GOT PUBLISHED IN THE NEW YORKER???!!!! I'm already sold on homeschooling, so this detail is what stood out. You need to take your cues from me and BRAG a little more when we hang out so I know these little nuggets about you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still waiting for us to hang out...wait til I tell you about my literary awards! JUST KIDDING!!! Really, we need to set a time and date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do! And for the record, if the New Yorker published one thought out of my head, I'd refer to myself as a part-time writer for the New Yorker, and you know I would...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrat's on the New Yorker. I never knew that either. It was a different line that stood out for me, though:

    "Really, we don't all cut our own hair and use a Bible and dictionary as our curriculum."

    There was a time when that's exactly what I thought home schooling was about. After talking to more people who have done it over the years, I've heard a lot of compelling reasons for it.

    CA is a state where the focus is on helping the bottom of the class raise their standardized test scores at the cost of everyone else being ignored. "No child left behind" has turned into "No time for excellence". The smart kid who could potentially discover the cure for cancer or solve the world's energy woes gets neglected the moment someone figures out that he/she can read and do basic math. Add to this a heaping dollop of institutionalized mandatory democrat indoctrination, and anyone with the means will find a way to get their kid out of public schools.

    Congratulations on being able to do this, and thanks for doing your best to create some hope for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I had a kid.....

    no
    wait

    ReplyDelete