Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Non-Trekkie Catches Star Trek Fever



I'm really surprised and a little unnerved at how excited I am to see the new Star Trek movie. Mainly because I've never been a Star Trek fan, always more of a Star Wars geek. In my mind,
there're specific differences between the two. There's the image of the old school Trekkies as somber devotees of a camp 1960's television show. They are obsessed with the minutia of specific tv episodes ala Galaxy Quest. Star Wars fans, on the other hand, have farther-reaching interests in filmmaking, science, and mythology. At least that's how I prefer to describe the side I'm on.

As I'd written/confessed earlier, a few years ago, we'd attended a Star Wars convention. One of the first things we saw when we arrived was someone costumed as Jar Jar Binks, wearing a sign reading, "Stop the hate!" I can't describe how relieved I was to be able to think, "Oh, good! They have a sense of humor." And, honestly, throughout the convention, there were conversations about filmmaking, science, and mythology.

This week, as everyone with access to media knows, the new Star Trek movie by J.J. Abrams is going to premiere. And I can't wait. Cannot. Wait. Primarily for five particular reasons:


1. New CGI capabilities. I'd like to see what Star Trek looks like with the technology the storyline deserves. Think of the potential if the special effects actually look convincing. Imagine if they're dazzling.


2. Directed by J.J. Abrams. I know people tend to admire or criticize him, but no one can deny that the man is smart and creative. He himself is no Star Trek fan and has promised to make a relatively unhampered film that's an exciting sci-fi story with plenty of action. And I believe him. (Of course, I also have faith that Lost, the series he co-created, will satisfy fans at the end of its final season next year. Call me an Abrams optimist. In spite of Fringe.)


3. Completely new cast. It's refreshing and bold to have new, young actors playing roles that have been around for four decades now. Zachary Quinto looks especially compelling as Spock and I imagine that may have been the hardest role to cast. New actors will allow for some unique interpretations and keep things from being too predictable. I hope.


4. The trailer. When I saw the first trailer, honestly, it reminded me a little too much of some scenes from Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. But, then, a newer trailer appeared that looked so impressive that I immediately replayed it several times. So much potential to be a great action, sci-fi movie,...everything onscreen looked amazing. Definately not a wait-for-it-on-dvd film.


5. My very specific, personal treat: Simon Pegg as Scotty. I love Simon Pegg. Loved him in Spaced, in Shaun of the Dead, in Hot Fuzz, in Run, Fatboy, Run. I can't quite wrap my brain around him as Scotty, but it will be so much fun to see. As long as I can eventually believe him as Scotty and not just Simon Pegg playing the role.


If the film pulls it off by living up to most of the hype and proves to be the movie everyone's wanted to see, it certainly will breathe new life in the franchise. In that case, it will deserve to live long and prosper.


4 comments:

  1. I'm totally jazzed, too. And I am a Star Trek fan (not a geek. I am a geek in other ways, though...). You are a treasure trove of movie info. We've been ships passing in the night at co-op, and now the whole horrid business is behind us. Puertos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abrams has won this round.

    ReplyDelete