Monday, May 4, 2009

Donald Trump regrets...



I don't know why we watched the first season of The Apprentice, but we did. Curiously, our son--who was seven years old at the time--especially looked forward to each week's episode. Thomas picked a favorite and became more and more anxious when it seemed he was in danger of being fired---which he eventually was. Yet, the compelling person on the show for our son, as was the case for many viewers, was The Donald. It may have been his demeanor, his alpha-male posturing, his perceived power...somewhere along the way, our son decided that he and The Donald could be friends.


Thomas kept these thoughts pretty much to himself until he looked online at a picture of the hotel we were going to stay at that year in New York City. It was the Doubletree Guests Suites in Times Square and Thomas managed to notice the golden arches of McDonald's in the photo. So, his picky-eater worries abated. No matter what kind of restaurant we dragged him to, he wouldn't starve with a McDonald's nearby. Then, another idea entered his mind. McDonald's wasn't very expensive. It would be within his allowance's range to treat Donald Trump to lunch there on our trip.

Doubting any outcome from it, I helped Thomas find the Trump Organization's address and let him write a letter. He politely introduced himself to Donald Trump and explained our plans for an upcoming trip to New York City. He invited The Donald to join him for lunch at the Times Square McDonald's and to be assured that Thomas would pay for both Happy Meals and apple pies. He realized that Donald Trump wouldn't recognize him, so included a photo from a Walt Disney World trip in which Thomas is standing next to Chip, of Chip and Dale fame. At the bottom of the letter, he added the reason he was including a photo and pointed out, "I'm not the chipmunk." The letter was sent.



It wasn't too long before I stepped on the porch to get the mail and saw an envelope from the Trump Organization, addressed to our son. We opened it together and read:

"Dear Tom:

Thank you for your recent letter and picture.

Your invitation to treat me to lunch at McDonald's is much appreciated. My busy schedule does not permit me to meet with you.

Best wishes with your future endeavors and enjoy your trip to New York.



Sincerely,

[signature]

Donald J. Trump"

Although the message was short, the signature was obviously genuine and it was exciting for Thomas to think his letter had really been read. He wondered briefly if he should start going by "Tom". He continued to loyally watch The Apprentice. He has to be prepared in case he ever does meet The Donald.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! That little letter was completely worth it. I'm afraid I would've ruined the opportunity by lazily not looking up the address in the first place and then making an excuse for myself by talking to my kids about greed, divorce, immorality, bad hair...as I loafed on the couch. You are just better than me, in this way and others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha...I think we probably covered most of those topics throughout the season of The Apprentice! Thomas' idea completely appealed to my impulsive nature---which I believe you and I share?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed. That, and so much more. ;)

    ReplyDelete