Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My sister, the sister

It seems curious that two women from a German Protestant background independently converted to Catholicism. Surely, it must seem strange to our father. I remember writing to an elderly aunt in Germany, asking if anyone in the family there was Catholic. "Yes," came her carefully written response, "There were Catholics in the family. But, that was before the Reformation." Point taken.

I keep thinking it was inevitable that my younger sister became a nun. Even before Catholicism had entered my own consciousness, I remember asking someone, "Doesn't it seem like Sarah would make a perfect nun?" Really, nothing could have seemed like a less feasible outcome, in spite of my feelings that her personality was suited for the vocation. It was so far out of anything in our family's experience. It was so counter-cultural in a very real way.

My husband and I had taken a long, arduous road to conversion. But, it felt like a very private journey, discussed solely between our priest, my husband, and myself. My sister, who is 18 years younger than me, was at college at the time when I remember she began to ask a few vague questions about Catholicism. I answered as best I could and no further discussions really followed.

Until she called to tell me that she'd decided to become Catholic. I think that was the moment that my earlier image of her came to mind. If she was going to become Catholic, how could she not become a nun? Things of this world never held much fascination for her, but the spiritual life had always called her. There was nothing for her to run away from, but there was everything for her to run to.

We're on the East Coast for a week, trying to see as many friends and family members as possible. And, on Saturday, we'll be visiting my sister at her convent in Maryland. My little sister, now so serene, strong, and centered. Just as I always imagined her at her best.


4 comments:

  1. You are full of stories. I have to hear more about your sister. I'm so curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the photo of your sister? It perfectly embodies the post...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that really is my lovely sister. Can you tell I'm proud of her? It's taken tremendous courage and perseverance on her part to follow the path she's chosen.

    ReplyDelete