Monday, April 13, 2009

Horse Sense














People who know my husband describe him as introspective, intelligent, and rational. I'd be the first to agree with the description. So, it's very puzzling to try to understand what went through his mind on our visit to the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington.

My sister's family was visiting the area and my niece is particularly enthusiastic about horses. The first-rate Kentucky Horse Park seemed like a perfect day trip. We spent the morning walking across the expansive horse farms, seeing famous thoroughbreds, and learning about the park's mission in caring for old racehorses. For horse lovers, it's nirvana. Granted, the food available at the on-site restaurant left much to be desired, but we were a captive audience. And, on this day, food was mainly to serve as fuel for the rest to the afternoon.

After lunch, our son wanted to use the restroom, which was on a sub-level a bit isolated from the rest of the building. My husband went with him. I suppose a combination of boredom and restlessness had built up in my husband as he washed his hands in front of the large restroom mirror.

"Hey, Thomas," he called to our son, still in a stall, "There's a horse in here."

"Right."

"No, there is...listen." My husband started making loud neighing and snorting sounds just as another man entered the restroom. Catching my apparently-alone-husband in mid-neigh, the man avoided eye contact and hurried into a stall. Mortified, my husband ran out of the restroom, leaving Thomas behind.

In the hallway, he realized Thomas wouldn't know where anyone had gone, so he had to wait for him outside the restroom entrance. His one dread was that the other man would come out and wonder why the neighing man was loitering.

Fortunately for my husband, Thomas came out first and he rushed with him to join us for a lecture in the thoroughbred stables. We heard many interesting stories from the guide that afternoon, but I suspect the man in the restroom left with the best story of the day.



2 comments:

  1. I am peeing my pants. That is THE funniest thing, and why couldn't it have happened to someone in my family?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Making you lose bladder control is now what I take to be a thumbs up.;)

    ReplyDelete