Tuesday, May 3, 2011

All Things Considered, Dad, and Me



This is a big day for NPR's first signature show, All Things Considered, celebrating its 40th anniversary today. While so many are rightly praising the show, I'm also thinking back 40 years to when my Dad, Bill Siemering, created it.

We'd recently moved to Washington, D.C. I know I was very excited that we had a uniformed doorman in our apartment building, while Dad was very excited about something else--a new kind of radio show he was developing. It would be an in-depth, intelligent presentation of the day's news for evening drive-time. In 1971, such a program didn't exist.

If you ask most people what they recall about their parent's work while they were in grade school, the answer is something like, "He went to the office and did stuff." There was that, but Dad was so full of enthusiasm and energy about the "new" program for NPR (for which, by the way, he wrote the Mission Statement and served as their first Director of Programming) that it made an impression. It showed me that it's important to do work you believe in, that you should be passionate about your goals. He provided an example I've tried to follow.

Since 1971, All Things Considered has won some of the highest honors in broadcasting: the Peabody, Dupont, and Overseas Press Club awards. It was the first radio program to be inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame. It became the model for many shows that followed at NPR.

And since 1971, my father has accomplished amazing things. He has spent decades helping to establish community radio in developing countries around the world, always listening for ways to help those often considered the least among us. More publicly, he was awarded the McArthur Foundation "Genius" Grant, and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting's highest honor, the Edward R. Murrow Award. His current work is as President of Developing Radio Partners, created to help broadcasters build healthy stations that strengthen communities. Through it, successful projects have been completed in Mongolia, Sierra Leone, and Russia. Current projects are underway in Malawi, Kenya, and Zambia.

Someone asked me how I would describe my father in one sentence. I answered, "He's spent most of his life trying to make a better world for as many people as possible." And I stand by that statement. I couldn't be more proud of what he's accomplished, the work he's currently doing, and the work he's yet to do.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Karla. Thank you for sharing such a thoughtful tribute. I treasure being a member of Bill's radio family. His curiosity, optimism, fair-mindedness and commitment to standing up for what's right inspire and guide me. Plus, we laugh at the same things, which is always a plus.

    I'm know I'm just one of hundreds of public radio people who love your dad very much. And are grateful for his guidance.

    Best regards,

    Danny Miller

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danny, thanks very much for your kind words. I think you know that your friendship means so much to Dad--and therefore, to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredible man your father is. =)
    Beautiful post...thanks for sharing it!
    BTW, I celebrated my 40th anniversary (of being born) this year, too...1971 was a great year! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Shanona, I appreciate it and know I'm fortunate to be my father's daughter. :)Congrats on a milestone birthday!

    ReplyDelete