Thursday, July 1, 2010

So, A Woman Signs Up For a Comedy Writing Course...


Here's the thing: Comedy is difficult to do on paper. Unless it's a very short piece, like the guy (above) I saw in Santa Monica had figured out. And his bit was even on cardboard.

The curious thing is that there are writers who are hysterically funny in person, but can't compose a single, truly funny line. I've talked about this with at least three experienced writers and none of them can quite figure out the answer to the problem. Taking the easy way out, I resigned to simply not attempt comedy until I came across a workshop being offered in comedy writing for the screen. The company offering the course came highly recommended, the workshop is just 11 days, and the fees were reasonable. I signed up. Two days ago.

So, I've already learned something about what makes comedy work. It involves set-up and structure, incongruity and absurdity, and, certainly, creativity. While doing the daily assignments, I feel like I'm using my brain in a different way, as if I'm retraining my mind. Which pleases me because it makes me feel like something's happening. I've gotten attached to a couple of my scenarios already and have been amazed to discover that "funny" to many males in the course seems to consistently include strippers. I suspect they're doing that in hopes of having to do casting research or something.

Since we receive our assignments daily, I have no idea what's coming next. But, when we had to do set-ups yesterday, I abandoned my hastily thrown together idea when it dawned on me that I may have to build on it for the remainder of the course. Much better to work with an idea you actually like. And, interestingly, I've found myself thinking about my project throughout the day, imagining various situations and dialogue. And trying not to grin while I'm walking the dog by myself.

At the end of the eleven days, I wonder if I'll actually be able to write comedically. I imagine I'll shyly try to insert some slightly funny scenes into a drama at first. It will be some time before I'll have the nerve to attempt writing a full-fledged comedy. I wouldn't want to end up with pie in my face.




4 comments:

  1. Mixing drama in with comedy is the way to go because the contrast makes the comedy funnier and brings you closer to the characters. You'll always laugh at your friends more than a stranger so make the characters the readers friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Karla! Nothing to do with your writing - just a little comment - don't suppress your grins - someone may appreciate them, even if they're wondering if there's something a little wrong with you : ) (just kidding)

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie, I'm not sure. I think I've been spotted absent-mindedly singing (poorly) along with my iPod when walking the dog too many times already. ;)

    ReplyDelete