Friday, February 19, 2010

My Son Turned 14



Earlier this week, my son turned 14 and it felt curiously momentous. Thirteen would have been a more likely birthday to have thought, with disbelief, "My child is a teenager?" But, 13 is kind of the training wheels year of being a teen. It's as if everyone's getting used to the idea of it, but it somehow doesn't really count.

On his birthday, a friend took us out to lunch with her boys, the oldest being about a year younger than mine. While we were waiting to be seated, she turned to me and whispered, "Why is that table full of young girls staring at us?"

I glanced over and realized that the group of tweenish girls were staring--and smiling-- at our sons. When I pointed that out, my friend looked startled, confused, and proud all at the same time. I have a feeling that combination will be my primary emotion for the next few years.

I was never a baby-crazed, over-flowingly maternal type. Which may be partially why I didn't become a mother when I was younger. But, since I'd had years of travel and singlehood and couplehood beforehand, once I became a mother, I was ready. I was patient. I enjoyed sitting in the quiet of the nursery, wondering what images could run through an infant's mind as he dreams. As my mother had done with me, I'd hold his feet in my hands and imagine where those feet may one day take him.

But, then, everything seemed to go in fast motion. I know we had video tapes of The Wiggles that were soon replaced with Thomas the Tank Engine. Wooden train tracks seemed to sprawl all over the house for some time and then, suddenly, we'd entered the Star Wars stage. It seemed like there should have been more of a bridge between the franchises, but there wasn't. Star Wars has never been left behind. It was a gateway to all kinds of wondrous sci-fi and fantasy geekiness. And I suspect that's an aspect of my son that will continue to flourish, live long, and prosper.

I keep hearing the next four years will be important ones. I want to say that all "four years" are important, but I understand what they mean. At the end of these four years, my son will be a man and no longer a boy. Just writing that makes the Rudyard Kipling poem, "If", echo annoyingly in my mind. And that makes me all teary. Because, when all is said and done, I couldn't be more proud of the soon-to-be-man I see before me.

2 comments:

  1. Karla. You know I can't handle this level of sweet, sad poignancy during the winter. I'm bawling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, you are the Queen of Poignant...thanks for your encouragement at the very beginning and now. :)

    ReplyDelete