Sunday, March 29, 2009

Stan Lee


Last July, we attended the San Diego Comic-Con for the first time. For the uninitiated, Comic-Con is a mecca for fans of the "popular arts": film, tv, video games, and comics. There are guest panels, screenings, previews, and other events to entertain the 125,000+ attendees. Yes, over 125,000 fanboys and fangirls wandering through a not-so-huge convention center. Many in costume.

As first-time attendees, we made many mistakes. But, one decision we got right was to stay at the hotel adjoining the convention center. Pricey, but worth it. After a long flight and a drive through an unfamiliar city, we arrived at the hotel. My husband dropped our son and me off at the lobby to check-in while he parked the rental car. I pulled one rolling suitcase behind me while our son was in charge of the remaining two. As soon as we entered the open, attractive lobby, my son pulled on my arm.

"I think Stan Lee just walked past us."

Again, for the uninitiated, Stan Lee is for many The Man at Comic-Con. Comic writer and former president and chairman (primarily founder) of Marvel Comics, his creations of Spiderman, Hulk, Ironman, and many others were there at the origins of Comic-Con when it really was all about comics. With the comic crowd, he's bigger than any other celebrity.

"Umm, no, I doubt you saw Stan Lee." I glanced and saw the back of a man who honestly did look like Stan Lee, but was distracted by the absence of suitcases behind my son. "Where are the suitcases?"

"The what?"

"The suitcases Dad left on the sidewalk for you to bring in."

"I don't know."

Three small panic-inducing words. Just as it was my turn to check-in, my husband appeared.

"Thomas doesn't know where the suitcases are."

"What!"

In a second, the boys were out the door. About ten minutes later, they reappeared with the suitcases. And huge grins. The missing luggage had been where my husband had left it, on the sidewalk in front of the hotel. And Stan Lee had been standing right next to it. I love the photo of my son with Stan Lee. Especially their expressions. Stan Lee looks as if he's about to laugh and Thomas is trying to smile, which is hard to do when your eyes are double their normal size. Try it.

By the next day, no one got near Stan Lee. Once Comic-Con officially started, he was surrounded by handlers and possibly bodyguards. Seats to attend his panels were quickly filled to capacity. People were disappointed they never got a glimpse of him in person.

Stan the Man. Creator of numerous world-famous superheroes. Protector of unattended suitcases.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome. Did you get into comics because of Thomas, or did Thomas get into them because of you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, not so much into comics as films. And Thomas has brought us to a new immersion level when it comes to that. But, Stan Lee is Stan Lee. :)

    ReplyDelete